Ireland, Vintage Images circa 1900 (2018 calendar)
Wonderful places to see fill Ireland circa 1900. From St. Stephen’s Green in Dublin, and Donegal Castle, to the wild rapids of the River Shannon in Limerick, and bustling Royal Avenue in Belfast, Ireland looks inviting and, mostly, quite green. Fáilte go hÉirinn!
Published by Tide-mark, the 2018 calendar opens to 13.75 by 20.5 inches.
Places pictured in the Ireland, Vintage Images circa 1900 calendar include:
Even more bucolic before the era of automobiles, St. Stephen’s Green is a 22-acre park in the center of Dublin. Opened to the public in 1880, it was designed by William Sheppard. Access to the land was private until an act of Parliament opened access to the public. Sir A.E. Guinness paid for the design of the park as a gift to the people of Dublin.
The Lakes of Killarney are a scenic attraction in County Kerry. The three lakes are: Lough Leane, Muckross Lake, also called Middle Lake, and Upper Lake.
Located at a bend in the River Eske near the mouth of Donegal Bay, Donegal Castle was the stronghold of the O’Donnell clan between the 5th and 16th centuries. In a letter written during a visit in 1566, the Lord Deputy of Ireland described Donegal as the “largest and strongest fortress in all Ireland.” The castle lay in ruins for 200 years until its restoration in the 1990s.
Cork Harbor in County Cork has hosted queens and great ships. The port was known as Cove in 1750, but was renamed Queenstown in 1849 to commemorate the visit of Queen Victoria. Cork Harbor was the final port of call of the RMS Titanic on her fatal voyage in 1912. After establishment of the Irish Free State in 1920, the town was renamed Cobh.
Nearly as quiet now as it was a century ago, Enniskerry is a village located about 25 miles south of Dublin on the Glencullen River in the foothills of the Wicklow Mountains. The formal gardens of Powerscourt Estate are a longstanding attraction in Enniskerry. The house and grounds were previously the demense of the Vicounts of Powerscourt.
After long years of battle with native Irish chieftans, James I established the Plantation of Ulster and in 1623 granted a royal charter to the city of Londonderry. The city was laid out according to the most advanced thinking about urban design. It was the last walled city built in Ireland. St. Columb’s Cathedral built in 1633 remains the most important 17th century building in Ireland and was the first Protestant cathedral constructed after the Reformation.
Lisdoonvarna in County Clare was developed as a spa town in 1845. Sometime after 1880, a Dr. Westroop acquired the spa and developed new bathing facilities, and lived in a house overlooking the spa. It is possible that is what we see in this picture.
Dunmore East is a fishing village on the west side of Waterford Harbour on Ireland’s “sunny” southeastern coast in County Waterford.
The obelisk standing at the edge of the Boyne River in County Louth commemorates the Battle of the Boyne fought here in 1690 between English King James II and Dutch Prince William of Orange in 1690.
Seen here in 1898 from Castle Junction, Royal Avenue in Belfast is a main thoroughfare in the center of the city. The Grand Central Hotel, built on Royal Avenue in 1893, became the social hub of the city, hosting illustrious guests ranging from Sir Winston Churchill to the Rolling Stones before it closed in 1971.
The River Shannon is the longest in Ireland reaching 224 miles (360.5 km) north to south through the center of the country. The rapids pictured here are in County Limerick. Angling has long been popular on the Shannon. The mythological goddess of the river, Sionann, is said to have caught and eaten the Salmon of Wisdom that swam there.
The first castle at Kilkenny was built in 1195 at a fording place on the River Nore by Richard de Clare, a Norman knight. That structure was eventually replaced by William Marshall, who married de Clare’s daughter, heir to his lands. The new stone castle was completed in 1213. Three of the original four towers survive today. The castle was restored by Ireland in the 1990s and is now a favorite tourist attraction.