Lighthouses 2019 Calendar
Lighthouses stand as beacons to warn mariners of the danger of the sea. As Lighthouses 2019 shows, however, only its builders can hope to protect the lighthouse itself from the sea's unrelenting blasts. Lights pictured in 2019 range from: Roker Light in England, Le Four light in France, the Kushimoto light in Japan, the Sassnitzer Leuchtturm in Germany, the Peggy's Cove light in Canada, and more.
Lighthouses featured in the 2019 calendar are:
Standing at the end of Roker Pier, this distinctive light marks the entrance to the Port of Sunderland in northeast England. Construction of the 2,000-foot-long (609M) pier began in 1885 and was completed in 1903. Noted for its distinctive bands of gray and red Aberdeen granite cladding, the tower is 75 feet (23M) tall. The light uses a Pelangi rotating pedestal lens and its white flash is visible for 23 nautical miles.
In 1854 the loss of the steamship SS Nile on the Stones reef off Godrevy Island in St. Ives Bay in Cornwall, England lead to a call for a lighthouse to mark the reef. Trinity House agreed and the light was completed in 1859. The white octagonal tower stands 85 feet (26M) tall and displayed both white and red lights. The white light, visible for 12 nautical miles, flashed every ten seconds. A fixed red light was visible for 8 nautical miles along a 45-degree arc of danger from the reef. Deactivated in 2012, the current LED light shines from an adjacent platform in the same pattern, while the tower remains as a day marker.
Le Chenal du Four light marks the northern entrance to the shipping channel between the Ile d’Ouessant and the coast of France. The light rises 92 feet (28M) above the wave battered rock on which it was constructed in 1874. Located near the town of Porspoder in Brittany, the light is 2.5 miles (4km) off the Atlantic coast and is accessible only by boat.
The Shionomisaki Lighthouse in Kushimoto, Japan went into service on September 13, 1873. The cylindrical stone tower is 74 feet (22.5M) tall and the light has a range of 19 nautical miles. The light is a western-style lighthouse built by Scottish civil engineer Richard Henry Brunton. Working for a Scottish company under contract with the Japanese government, Brunton designed and supervised construction of 26 lighthouses and two lightships between 1868 and 1875.
Fishing boats have sailed from Newlyn Harbor near the village of Penzance in Cornwall since the 15th century. As the fishing fleet grew, demands on the harbor prompted the addition of two protective piers. In 1914 the extension of the south pier lead to the construction of a new light replacing one on the existing pier. The light’s white conical cast iron tower is 33 feet (10M) tall and its light, electrified in 1935, flashes white light every five seconds.
Built on the edge of the rocky shore on Mount Desert Island in Tremont Maine, the Bass Harbor Head Light Station marks the entrance to Bass Harbor and Blue Hill Bay. Designed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the cylindrical tower is built of brick and measures 32 feet (10m) tall, however, its height above the sea gives the light a focal height of 56 feet (17m). The Fourth order Fresnel lens installed in 1902 gives the light, flashing red every four seconds, a range of 13 nautical miles.
Lauchttürm Saßnitz Ostmole marks the entrance to the town’s harbor on Insel Rügen in Mecklenburg Vorpommern, Germany. Saßnitz is an active fishing port, as well as a recreational harbor and the first town on the island of Rügen developed to attract tourists. A light was erected at Saßnitz in 1904. The current light, a tapered octagonal iron tower, replaced it in 1937. The tower stands 40 feet (12m) tall and, depending on a ship’s direction at sea shows a red, white, or green light that occults every six seconds.
The Bay of Biscay may sound benign, but for keepers who maintained the Isla de Mouro light is was an isolated and dangerous assignment. The lighthouse was built on the rocky island one-half mile (.75km) off the north coast of Spain near the city of Santander in 1860 and keepers lived there until the light was automated in 1921. The tower is 66 feet (20m) tall with a focal elevation of 128 feet (39m) with a range of 11 nautical miles. In 1966 the light was extinguished during a severe storm. The lighthouse was restored in 2003-2004, and a helicopter was used to install a new lantern as part of the €130,000 project.
In 1832 a shore-bound light station was built at St. Joseph, Michigan to mark the entrance of the St. Joseph River from Lake Michigan. North and south piers were built to protect the river entrance in 1836 and a light was added to the south pier in 1848. In 1881 the beacon was moved to the north pier. After the pier was extended in 1904, an outer range light was added in 1907 and the inner light in 1907. Now owned by the city of St. Joseph, the lights underwent a restoration that was completed in 2016.
Built in 1935 on a rocky outcropping in the Mediterranean Sea, the Faro Mangiabarche takes its Italian name from the rock of its foundation. The word in English means “boat eater.” Located off the northwest point of the Isla di Sant’Antiocho the light marks shoals in the channel between that island and its twin, the Isola di San Pietro, both located off the coast of Sardinia. The tower stands 36 feet (11m) tall and produces a white flash every six seconds with a range of seven miles.
Peggys Point Lighthouse marks the eastern entrance to St. Margaret’s Bay in Peggys Point, Nova Scotia. The first light constructed here in 1868 was a wooden tower and the light was a fixed red beacon illuminated with burning kerosene. That structure was replaced in 1914 with an octagonal shaped tower built of reinforced concrete. The tower stands 49 feet (15 m) tall, and the light (flashing red every four seconds) has a focal height of 72 feet (22m) with a range of 10 nautical miles.
Mukilteo Light is located on the east side of Possession Sound in Mukilteo, Washington. The light was constructed in 1905 employing a tower built of wood, rather than more typical brick or concrete. The light became operation in 1906 using a revolving Fresnel lens that was replaced in 1927 by a fixed Fourth Order Feresnel lens which is still in use. The light was automated in 1979, and ownership of the building was transferred to the City of Mukilteo in 2001. The octagonal tower is 38 feet (12m) tall.