Lighthouses, Vintage Images circa 1900 (2018 calendar)
The 1800s ushered in a new age for lighthouses. The examples pictured in Lighthouses circa 1900 demonstrate the degree to which form and function were important to lighthouse builders around the world. Lights pictured include: Heligoland, Germany; Dunkirk, France; Hunstanton, England; as well as American lights in Biloxi, Mississippi, Annisquam, Massachusetts, and White Island, New Hampshire. A bright idea!
Published by Tide-mark, the 2018 calendar opens to 13.75 by 10.5 inches.
Lighthouses featured in the 2018 Lighthouses, Vintage Images circa 1900 include:
The beam of this 19th century lighthouse in Algiers warned ships in the Mediterranean Sea away from the coast of Algeria.
Annisquam Harbor Light Station rises above Wigwam Point in Gloucester, MA where the Annisquam River meets Ipswich Bay. The original light, a wooden octagonal tower, was built in 1801. The wooden structure was replaced in 1897 with the brick tower that was only a few years old when this picture was taken.
Douglas Head Lighthouse stands on the coast of the Isle of Man located in the Irish Sea. The light was first established in 1857, but structural problems made it necessary to rebuild the tower in 1892. The light flashes white every ten seconds and is visible for 24 nautical miles.
Maintained by female keepers for more years than any other lighthouse in America, Biloxi Lighthouse in Biloxi, Mississippi is an aid to navigation on the Mississippi Sound of the Gulf of Mexico. The light went into operation in 1848 and the tower measures 45 feet from the base to the lantern room.
This is the lighthouse in Blankenberge, Belgium, a coastal sea side resort on the North Sea. The light was supplanted in 1952 by a new structure with the u-shaped tower that is part of a science museum.
Completed in 1842, the Risban lighthouse in Dunkerque, France is the tallest light in the country, measuring 63m. The light was constructed on the site of Fort Risban, from which it takes its name. The fort was razed in 1713 according to the terms of the Treaty of Utrecht.
The Englischer Leuchtturm was the original light constructed by Trinity House in 18ll as an aid to navigation on Heligoland Bight at a time when the Heligoland Islands were under British control. The light was 220 feet (67m) above sea level and was visible at about twice the distance of the Cuxhaven light which also served shipping in the North Sea. The Englischer light was replaced by a new lighthouse in 1902.
Lowestoft Lighthouse is an aid to navigation in the North Sea. The light is located near Ness Point, the most easterly place on the coast of England. The light was built in 1874 and measures 52 feet tall (16m) and is 121 feet above sea level. The lighthouse is operated by Trinity House, the English lighthouse authority, which built the first light at Lowestoft in 1609.
Old Hunstanton Lighthouse in Norfolk, England was built in 1840, one of a series of lights on the site that date from 1665. The original light consisted of a wooden tower topped by an iron basket filled with burning coals as a light. The parabolic reflector was first used in a light here in 1776. The lighthouse ceased operation in 1922 and is now a private residence.
Fort Saint-Jean was built by King Louis XIV at the entrance to Marseille Harbor in 1660. The circular Tour du Fanal appears to have served as a watch tower as well as a beacon. A chart of the harbor drawn in 1664 shows a light burning as a light atop Tour du Fanal. Today the fort is an important historical site and tourist attraction in Marseille.
The only ocean lighthouse in New Hampshire, White Island Lighthouse is located on the shouthern-most island of the nine Isles of Shoals ten miles off the coast of Portsmouth. The light was built in 1859 and now fully automated. The long walkway was built to give light keepers access to the light in all weather.
The South Stack Lighthouse is built on a small island on the northwest coast of Holy Island in Anglesey, Wales. Constructed in 1809, the light is 91 feet tall 28m) and is visible from the sea for 24 nautical miles. The light was constructed to help ensure safe passage of ships on the Dublin-Holyhead-Liverpool sea route.