Milwaukee Road 2018 Calendar
|This product is available for pre-order only|
Chartered in 1849, the Milwaukee Road eventually extended its tracks across the northern tier of the United States to the Pacific Ocean. Noted for its innovative electric motive power and passenger service, the line’s successes were overshadowed by weak management and strong competition. By spring 1982, all Milwaukee lines from the West Coast to Minnesota had been abandoned, and in 1986 the remaining midwestern lines were absorbed into the Soo Line. Today CP Rail operates what remains, but the history of the Milwaukee Road lives on in historic photographs like those in this 2018 calendar.
Published by Tide-mark, the Milwaukee Road 2018 wall calendar opens to 13.75 x 20.5 inches.
Engines and trains featured in the 2017 calendar include:
Milwaukee Road 718, a Fairbanks-Morse Model H12-44, is switching a cut of passenger cars at the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, depot. Most Milwaukee switchers received a coat of Maroon and Orange paint, but in 1959 733, followed by 718 in 1961, were both painted in Union Pacific colors.
Milwaukee Road 11A, a Fairbanks-Morse “Erie Built” is leading Train #102, the eastbound “Midwest Hiawatha” into Council Bluffs, Iowa at just about straight up noon on a chilly February 4, 1950. Carded out of Council Bluffs at a few minutes after noon it would set out on a 484-mile trip across Iowa and Illinois, due to arrive in Chicago at 8:40pm. If 11A arrived on time, the “Midwest” would average about 55-miles-per-hour. Considering intermediate stops and other possible delays, 11A was moving right along.
Milwaukee Road saw a need to supplant their aging fleet of passenger units, so in December 1968 the railroad took delivery of five EMD FP-45’s, painted in Union Pacific colors and numbered 1 through 5. These large cowl units produced 3,600 horsepower, and one of them could almost do the work of two E units. All five of them were placed in passenger train service, but they were not well liked by engine crews. They were rough riding and tended to sway from side to side. This became a moot point with the coming of Amtrak on May 1, 1971. Thereafter they were placed in freight service. Eventually, all five were painted in Milwaukee’s orange and black freight colors. By 1984 all were off the roster.
Milwaukee Road 824, a Class F-5 Pacific (4-6-2), is on the point of the southbound “North Woods Hiawatha” near Rantz, Wisconsin in the summer of 1945. The “North Woods Hiawatha” operated between Chicago, Illinois, and Minocqua, Wisconsin. This might be one of a very few existing color images of a steam-powered “North Woods Hiawatha,” especially in northern Wisconsin.
Milwaukee Road 147, a Class F6-a Hudson (4-6-4), is leaving downtown Chicago with a westbound commuter train on May 12, 1954. 146 was constructed by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in November of 1931. It was set aside and scrapped in December of 1954, swept aside by new diesel deliveries.
Milwaukee Road 260, a Class S-3 ”War Baby” Northern (4-8-4), is spending the afternoon at the Bensenville, Illinois engine terminal on June 1, 1953. The engine has been serviced, as it has a full load of coal on board. All of Milwaukee’s Northerns were used interchangeably in both freight and passenger service. After a service life of only a decade, all ten of the Class S3’s were retired. Two were saved, unfortunately 260, shown here, was not among them. 261 was donated to the National Railway Museum at Green Bay, Wisconsin. It was selected for rebuilding, and it has run many miles in excursion service. It is presently housed in Minneapolis. Engine 265 is on display at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois. July
Milwaukee Road Class EP-2 Bipolar Motor E-2 is leading train #16, the eastbound “Olympian Hiawatha,” out of Seattle, Washington on July 16, 1951. Milwaukee ordered five of them from General Electric, and they were delivered in 1918 and 1919. These were the only locomotives of their type ever constructed. For about the first thirty years, the bipolars wore black paint and were used on passenger and mail trains, but with the coming of the new “Olympian Hiawatha” they were painted to match the train, as in this image. Note that a Union Pacific train with ex-Train of Tomorrow cars is arriving on an adjacent track.
MK-18---Union Pacific and Milwaukee Road were in a sort of partnership on their long-haul passenger trains, with most diesel power operating on the other road’s lines, as well as their own, thus saving labor costs and time. Here is a good example. Milwaukee Road 30-A, an EMD Model E9-A, with three Union Pacific E8’s trailing, the last one a cab unit, are exiting the Hermosa Tunnel on the west side of UP’s Sherman Hill, Wyoming line with westbound Train #105, the “City of Portland” on August 17, 1964.
Milwaukee Road 102 is a Class F-7 4-6-4 Hudson, sometimes referred to on the Milwaukee as a “Baltic.” Here 102 has the northbound “Chippewa” ripping into Rondout, Illinois on September 19, 1948. There were six streamlined locomotives designed by Otto Kuhler in this class, all racehorses, all with 84-inch driving wheels. They routinely operated in at speeds exceeding100-miles-per-hour. All had short service lives: the last Class F7 Hudson was removed from service in August of 1951.
Milwaukee Road Class EF-5 Boxcab E34B has stopped to pick up several freight cars at Butte, Montana on July 17, 1961. The Class EF-5 consisted of a four-motor set and was used almost exclusively in freight service. As soon as this train is reassembled, the air will be pumped up and E34B will be on its way westbound.
Milwaukee Road E-22D and other electric and diesel units are at the Tide Flat Yard engine terminal, Tacoma, Washington, on September 9, 1961. E-22D had been streamlined and rebuilt from a freight unit in 1953, but the two unit sets didn’t work well, were rough riding, and, in one case, a third motor was added to assist in making passenger train schedules. In 1959 diesels were assigned to the passenger trains, and the EP-1A’s were returned to freight service. In 1968 they were set aside, and in 1973 they were scrapped.
Milwaukee Road 40-D-C-B-A, an EMD FTA-B-B-A set delivered in 1941, looks careworn as it rolls eastbound manifest Freight #264 through Hopkins, Minnesota in the winter of 1954. This was the first set of freight diesels that Milwaukee purchased. These FT diesels were one class of engines that helped to hasten the end of the Steam Era.