Milwaukee Road 2019 Calendar
Chartered in 1849, the Milwaukee Road eventually extended its tracks across the northern tier of the United States to the Pacific Ocean. Noted for its innovative electric motive power and passenger service, the line's successes were overshadowed by weak management and strong competition. By Spring 1982, all Milwaukee lines from the West Coast to Minnesota had been abandoned, and in 1986 remaining Midwest lines were absorbed into the Soo Line. Today CP Rail operates what remains.
Engines and locations featured in the 2019 calendar include:
Milwaukee Road 264, a Class S-3 Northern (4-8-4) is on a westbound five-car passenger train heading out of Council Bluffs, Iowa, on January 10, 1954. There were ten Class S-3’s, all built in 1944 by the American Locomotive Company. As was the case on almost all railroads, the S-3’s were good locomotives and were used in dual service, but they could not overcome the economy offered by diesel power. Two S-3’s remain today. The 261 is used for occasional excursion service. The other is the 265, which is at the Illinois Railroad Museum in Union, Illinois. The other eight, including the 264 seen here, were retired in the 1950’s.
If anyone has ever wondered what Winter in Lemon, North Dakota, looked like, here is your answer. It is February 12, 1978, and soon Milwaukee Road 148 and 141 (both are EMD SD40-2 Units along with Wedge Plow 900032) will be heading out into a raging blizzard, attempting to put a dent in the weather. With the almost three feet of snow and high winds, this is quickly becoming a railroader’s nightmare.
Milwaukee Road 373, a Class L-3 Mikado (2-8-2) built by the American Locomotive Company in July 1919, is on the point of a southbound local freight at Bensenville, Illinois, on March 24, 1948. The 373 is in the twilight of its operating life: it was removed from service and scrapped on November 10, 1949, after thirty years of service.
Milwaukee Road 152, a Class F-1 streamlined Pacific (4-6-2), is on Train #21-101, the northbound “Chippewa Hiawatha,” on April 8, 1951. This locomotive was built in 1910 by the American Locomotive Company as number 1542, and after streamlining and being renumbered twice more, it is seen here with its last number and latest updating. In December 1954, it was removed from service in favor of diesel passenger train power.
Milwaukee Road 76C (this is an EMD F7A-F7B-F7A lash-up) is on the point of a northbound freight bound for Milwaukee on May 20, 1956. After arriving at Sturdivant, Wisconsin, twenty-three miles south of Milwaukee, the train was cut and a back-up move was being made to pick up a cut of cars. It won’t be too long before the switching is complete and they’re on their way.
Milwaukee Road 189 is on a freight at Sabula, Iowa, in May 1968. The consist includes everything from tank cars to intermodal cars.
In May 1951, Milwaukee Road 1, a Class A Streamlined Atlantic (4-4-2) was on a southbound “Hiawatha” when the low-water alarm went off. This was nothing to be taken lightly, and the train was brought to a stop at Caledonia, Wisconsin, about twenty miles south of Milwaukee. The crew can be seen checking the locomotive. What they found is unknown. What is known is that Engine 1 was starting to look as though its time was up, and, as it turned out, it was. There were four identical engines, numbers 1 through 4. With their 84-inch drivers, 120 miles per hour was not out of the question, but their two sets of driving wheels limited what they could handle. Engines 1 and 2 were scrapped on November 9, 1951. Engines 3 and 4 had been set aside earlier.
Two Milwaukee “Little Joe” motors, the point engine being the E-74, are on an eastbound freight at the Avery, Idaho, depot in August 1971. The Rocky Mountain electrified division begins at Harlowton to the east and extends 437 miles to Avery, Idaho, to the west. Electrification ends at Avery, but it picks up again at Othello, Washington, some 237 miles away. The Coast Division continues on to Tacoma, Washington, 225 miles away. In this view, diesels haul freight from Othello, Washington, to Avery, where the two “Joes” replaced the diesels. A gradual increase in diesel use on the electrified divisions was becoming more common.
Milwaukee Road 96A (the power for this train consists of two FP-7’s with an E9B in the middle―all EMD) is running as Train #6 and Train #16, the eastbound “Morning Hiawatha” and “Olympian Hiawatha,” at the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, depot on September 7, 1960. Note the business car cut in right behind the power.
Three Milwaukee Road “U-Boats” led by the 5005, are arriving at Avery, Idaho, with a westbound freight in September 1970. Avery was the western terminus of the Rocky Mountain Electrified Division, which in its time required a power change from either steam or diesel to electric power. At this time, however, more diesel power was available and would run on through to Tacoma, Washington. The only change this day would be of the crew.
Milwaukee Road Class ES-2 switcher E-80 is making up a train at Butte, Montana, in September 1972. By 1919, Milwaukee owned four of these locomotives. As things worked out, they needed one at Butte and one at Deer Lodge, Montana, and one in the system for maintenance. The E-83 went to scrap in 1952, and the other three lasted until the end of electrification, in 1974.
Milwaukee Road 177 (Class F-3’s Pacific) with a second Pacific running as a road engine have a three-car passenger train in tow near Rondout in the Winter of 1949. One locomotive could easily handle this train. Either the second engine experienced mechanical problems, or one of the engines is needed elsewhere. The 177 was built by the American Locomotive Company in 1910 as number 1521, but its third renumbering was its last. It was removed from service in October of 1951.