New England Seasons 2018 Calendar
New England Seasons begins the year in blowing snow near Plymouth, NH. Spring arrives as the trees leaf out at the Simmons Mill Pond Wildlife Area in Little Compton, RI. Summer stays cool with a visit to Schoodic Peninsula in Acadia National Park. With all its color on display, fall leaves decorate Wadsworth Falls State Park in Middlefi eld, CT. Enjoy all the New England states at their best in this 24-photo calendar.
Published by Tide-mark, the New England Seasons 2018 wall calendar opens to 13.75 x 20.5 inches.
Locations featured in the 2018 New England Seasons calendar include:
Plymouth, New Hampshire was originally the site of an Abenaki Indian village that was abandoned by the Indians during Queen Anne’s War in 1712. The Abenaki found the location favorable because two rivers converge in Plymouth: the Pemigewasset and Baker Rivers. Now the home of Plymouth State University, the town is notable because Daniel Webster lost his first criminal case at the Plymouth courthouse and because in 1864 Nathaniel Hawthorne died there while vacationing with former president Franklin Pierce. Despite the urban cluster fostered by the presence of the college, farming is still important in Plymouth.
Sandwich, New Hampshire was chartered in 1763. It is surrounded by water: the Beebe River is in the northwest, the Bearcamp and Cold Rivers in the east, the Red Hill River in the south, and Squam Lake in the southwest. The town was later enlarged to 94 square miles in an effort to improve accessibility. The change did not increase visitors. Plymouth is about as populous today as it was in 1800.
Even urban Massachusetts still boasts heavily forested lands. Willard Brook State Forest is a good example. Located in the towns of Ashby and Townsend, the park is only 50 miles northwest of Boston near the New Hampshire border. The park’s 2,597 acres invite swimming, hiking, fishing, winter trail sports, and summer camping.
Carried along by a glacier, a 10-ton piece of granite landed on what was to become, several thousand years later, the shore of Plymouth Harbor. It is said that onto this stone stepped the English pilgrims as they disembarked from their boats in 1620. In 1920, to mark the very spot, the architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White designed the massive portico that now shelters the old rock.
Upper Falls Covered Bridge (Downers Covered Bridge) carries Upper Falls Road across the Black River in Weathersfield, Vermont. The original bridge was constructed in 1840 and reconstructed in 2008. Connoisseurs of such things appreciate the Greek Revival elements of the gables on this single-span, “Town lattice” truss structure. The bridge is listed in the National Register of Historical Places.
March is the month for “sugaring off” maple sap, so the old sugar house in Ryegate, Vermont, is right for March, but we have adjusted time to include apple trees blooming attractively in the foreground, which would not really occur until mid to late April. Take this as a sign of the attractions of April to come.
The Simmons Mill Pond Management Area in Little Compton, Rhode Island, covers 400 acres of forest, freshwater wetlands, red maple swamps, shrub swamp, and shallow open-water areas. Volunteers maintain good hiking routes along old cart paths like the one pictured here.
Napatree Point is a long, sandy spit of land that extends 1.5 miles into Block Island Sound from the village of Watch Hill in Westerly, Rhode Island. On a good day, Napatree makes an enjoyable hike and a way to see the ocean at close hand. An exclusive summer resort, Watch Hill is home to Ocean House, one of the most highly rated hotels in Rhode Island.
The rocking chairs on the porch of the Oceanic Hotel suggest ease and calm, but in the 17th century, Star Island, New Hampshire, was one of the busiest fishing ports on the East Coast. Two centuries later, the porches beckoned visitors, along with construction of the Oceanic Hotel. In 1915, the island and the hotel were purchased by a nonprofit corporation that has kept both open and inviting. Visitors are welcome to stop for the day to explore the island or make a longer visit to commune with the sea.
These antique powerboats are ready to make a run across Lake Winnipesaukee, the largest lake in New Hampshire. Racing all sorts of boats has been popular here since the lake became a resort in the 19th century. The lake hosted the first intercollegiate rowing contest in the United States in 1852, when the first Harvard-Yale Regatta saw Harvard defeat the Yale boat by two lengths. A century later the contest was repeated, and Harvard enjoyed a 2.7-second victory.
One of the westernmost towns of Massachusetts, Lanesborough was among the first places settled in Berkshire County (1753). Spanning two valleys, the town includes a mix of small businesses and farms but retains its bucolic character, as this picture suggests. Of note is the Massachusetts Champion Elm located on Summer Street
Despite a housing boom related to student population growth at the University of Massachusetts, a large portion of Hadley, Massachusetts, land is still devoted to open-field farming. The World Monuments Fund listed the town’s open-field agriculture on its list of most endangered sites. The fund notes that such 17th-century New England farming practices have largely disappeared and advocates its being preserved against development. The Mount Holyoke Range marks the town’s southern boundary.
Chaffinch Island Park encompasses a 22-acre site bounded by the West River and the harbor in Guilford, Connecticut. The park offers hiking and picnicking, enhanced by views of Long Island Sound and Faulkner’s Island. The town is part of a large plot of land purchased by Puritans from the Quinnipiac Indians in 1643. Originally known as Menunkatuck, the Puritan fathers chose a more familiar sounding name.
The gazebo in Arbor Park in the center of Ellington, Connecticut, is decorated to celebrate Independence Day. Located in the north-central part of the state, Ellington was incorporated in 1786.
Part of and apart from Acadia National Park, Schoodic Peninsula is visible across Frenchman Bay from Bar Harbor, Maine, but it is the least-visited section of the national park. In addition to an ocean-battered coastline, 8 miles of hiking trails, and 8 miles of biking paths, Schoodic boasts the first new campground built in Acadia since 1936.
There are likely to be more lupines blooming in Harrington, Maine, than residents living there. The town boasted a population of 177 when it was incorporated in 1797. Today the number is about 1,000.
Though it appears bucolic and benign today, Reading, Vermont, was a dangerous place to be in 1754, when Abenaki Indians, employed by the French, raided New England towns. Among prisoners captured by the Abenaki that August 30, Susannah Johnson began a forced march to Quebec, Canada, that was interrupted the next day when she gave birth to a daughter in Reading. Forty-two years later, Ms. Johnson published a memoir describing her captivity and eventual repatriation.
Molly’s Falls Pond in Cabot is Vermont’s newest state park. The 1,000-acre site includes a 402-acre reservoir and a host of woodland trees that bring kaleidoscopic color to central Vermont each fall.
Wadsworth Falls and 285 surrounding acres, now a state park, were preserved through the generosity of Clarence S. Wadsworth, a teacher and linguist who owned the land on the Coginchaug River in Middletown, Connecticut. The park offers trails for hiking and biking, pond and stream fishing, and picnicking.
Litchfield County in northwestern Connecticut remains rural and agrarian, but in the 19th century the City of Winstead in Litchfield was one of the first mill towns in the state. Consumer advocate Ralph Nader established the unusual American Museum of Tort Law there in 2015.
In rural Rockingham County, New Hampshire, Deerfield’s original petition to become independent was rejected in 1756. A second petition in 1765 was accepted after hunters presented Gov. Benning Wentworth with a deer. Today the town is home to the Deerfield Fair, established in 1876 and called New England’s oldest family fair.
Morey Pond brook flows into Morey Pond, a reservoir in Andover, New Hampshire.
The original Knubble Lighthouse was built in 1879 at a cost of $15,000 on a “nub” of land in York, Maine. Responsibility for the light was transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard in 1939, and the light was officially renamed Cape Neddick Lighthouse. The last lighthouse keeper left Nubble in 1987, when the light was automated. Shortly afterward, the town of York assumed responsibility for maintaining the historic structure.
A sandy beach on the rocky coast of Maine is a rarity. Located along the Park Loop Road in Acadia National Park in Maine, Sand Beach is a popular stop for summer visitors to the park but still wonderful to see in the winter.