Pennsylvania Railroad 2018 Calendar
Chartered in Pennsylvania in 1846, construction of the Pennsylvania Railroad began in 1847, and the first all-rail line reached Pittsburgh in 1852. Eventually, PRR connected Chicago with Washington, D.C. Pennsylvania Railroad 2018 pictures the unique engines and trains of “The Standard Railroad of the World.”
Published by tide-mark, the 2018 wall calendar opens to 13.75 by 20.5 inches.
Engines and trains featured in Pennsylvania Railroad 2018 include:
Pennsylvania Railroad 9546 and 9550B (EMD F7A and F3B) are on a westbound freight coming through View, Pennsylvania on January 5, 1960. Just behind the trees to the left is the Susquehanna River.
Pennsylvania Railroad 8961 is taking a well earned break at South Philadelphia on February 28, 1965. This is a Model RT-624, built and delivered by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1953. These engines were primarily built for freight transfer service, moving a cut of cars from one railroad yard to another. They were also used in heavy switching assignments, sometimes operating in pairs. Pennsy had twenty-three of these center cab units—all but one, including 8961 pictured here were off the roster by the beginning of 1967.
Pennsylvania Railroad 6306, a Class L1s Mikado (2-8-2) is on the point of a southbound freight rolling through Hagerstown, Pennsylvania on March 21, 1956. From the first Mike, which was built by Pennsy’s Juniata Shops in 1914, four more followed, testing various appliances and other factors. Then the Juniata Shops, in concert with the Lima and Baldwin Locomotive Works, the pattern was set and construction of five hundred seventy-four identical Class L1s locomotives was undertaken; this was completed in 1919. These locomotives were very successful as “jack-of-all-trades” “use ‘em anywhere”, and were operated systemwide. Some lasted until the end of steam; one remains on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Lancaster.
When the Great Northern Railway discontinued all of their electric operations in 1956, the Pennsylvania Railroad purchased eight of their Class Y-1 motors. They were reclassified as Pennsy FF-2 Motors, then they were renumbered from #1 to #7, with one motor, a wreck rebuild different from the others, held for parts to keep the others running. Although they were occasionally used in road freight service, it was not an every day occurrence; they were primarily used in helper service. Here is Class FF-2 Motor #3, pans up, waiting a call, crewman getting on board at Columbia, Pennsylvania on July 22, 1950.
It is July 23, 1955, and two Pennsy “Centipedes” led by 5818 are wreathed in brake shoe smoke as they head downgrade to Altoona, Pennsylvania with an eastbound freight. Built by Baldwin in 1947 and 1948 the twenty-four locomotives, which were originally designed for passenger service, due to multiple in-service failures, rapidly wore out their welcome here and were dumped into the freight pool. Their last assignments were as rear end helpers out of Altoona around Horseshoe Curve and up to the top of the hill at Gallitzin, Pennsylvania.
A pair of Pennsy GG-1 Motors, 4844 and 4854, are at Enola, Pennsylvania with an eastbound freight in June 1965.
Pennsylvania Railroad 2504 is leading an eastbound freight at Overview Road Bridge entering the vast Enola Yard. The power consist for this train is two GE U25B’s and an EMD GP35 and a GP30. If you look over the second orange refrigerator car you will see the Rockville Bridge in the distance. The “Iron Bridge” was a favorite photo location for many rail photographers in this area.
Pennsylvania Railroad Class H-10 Consolidation (2-8-0) is heading out of Northumberland, Pennsylvania, crossing the Susquehanna River with a local freight in tow on August 22, 1956. Pennsy had more Consolidations than many other roads had locomotives, eventually having over three thousand three hundred on their active roster, from the first one in 1875 until the end of steam power in 1957.
It is September 25, 1957 as “Hippo” 4628, a Class I1 Decapod (2-10-0) is a point helper for 9503A-9502B (An EMD F3A-B) on Train S-390, a 148 car ten thousand plus ton train as it passes Orphanage, Pennsylvania. There is another “Hippo” (so named by crews for their appearance) and more Diesels shoving on the cabin car (Pennsy referred to their cabooses as cabin cars.). The photographer noted the time as 9:54AM.
Cove, Pennsylvania is located near Duncannon, along the Susquehanna River; 7102 and two other GP9’s, of which the Pennsy had two hundred seventy, is leading a westbound freight through spectacular Fall color. It is October 27, 1966, and soon the weather will start to change.
Here is a Pennsy four-track main line. Three E8’s led by 4282, are on a westbound passenger train leaving Harrisburg for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The two tracks on the left were only for freight movements, while the two closest to the photographer were for passenger trains.
Pennsylvania Railroad 4499 is on a northbound freight, most likely a coal train, near Paxinos, Pennsylvania on December 3, 1954. 4499 is one of five hundred ninety-eight Class I Decapods (2-10-0) stabled by the Pennsy. They were slow and rough riding, but anywhere there was a grade and a requirement for a maximum effort, there would be Class I locomotives. A few lasted until 1957, being used on Mount Carmel iron ore trains.