Pennsylvania Railroad 2019 Calendar
Chartered in Pennsylvania in 1846, construction of the Pennsylvania Railroad began in 1847, and the first all-rail line reached Pittsburgh in 1852. Eventually, PRR connected Chicago with Washington, D.C. Pennsylvania Railroad recalls the unique engines and trains of 'The Standard Railroad of the World.'
Engines and locations featured in the 2019 calendar include:
Pennsylvania Railroad 5368, one of 425 Class K-4s Pacifics (4-6-2), is on northbound commuter train #720 coming through Red Bank, New Jersey, on January 29, 1955. Red Bank is located about 45 miles south of New York City. The New York and Long Branch was one of the last Pennsy lines to use steam power, phasing it out by the end of 1957.
February 20, 1966, was new-vehicle-delivery day. Electromotive Division has just delivered three brand-new six-axle SD-40’s to the Pennsy. They were built in LaGrange, Illinois, and delivered to Chicago. These engines, in fact, all the SD-40’s, would be assigned to Enola, Pennsylvania, for maintenance. This placed them in the pool for main-line operations. The SD-40 had many changes, from the power plant to the traction motors and on into the cab.
Pennsylvania Railroad 6969, one of twenty-five Class M-1 Mountains built by the Lima Locomotive Works, is on an eastbound coal train stopped at Cove, Pennsylvania, on March 10, 1957. Perhaps the dispatcher may have some higher priority trains to route around or past the 6969, which is running out its last days of service.
It is May 12, 1956, and four Pennsylvania Railroad Class I1sa Decapods (2-10-0) are at the “general store” in Crowl, Pennsylvania. Each visible engine has another coupled behind it. The 4311 will take the point and two more engines, led by the 4249 and the cabin car, will be entrained behind the last car. After running to Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania, the train will be handed off to the Lehigh Valley, which will carry the ore on to Lake Erie to be loaded into ships. It took four Decapods to haul a one hundred-car train up a 2% grade from Northumberland to Mount Carmel. The Mount Carmel ore trains were examples of railroading at its best.
Pennsylvania Railroad 7049 is leading a westbound manifest freight on the approach to Banks Tower, Pennsylvania, with the Susquehanna River for a backdrop on May 15, 1965.
Pennsylvania Railroad 6923, a Class M-1 Mountain (4-8-2) is helping a Class K-4 Pacific with a westbound passenger train at Horseshoe Curve, Pennsylvania, in the summer of 1949. The 6923 was one of two hundred M-1 locomotives built in 1926 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works and served for more than thirty years in fast freight and passenger service. Pennsy owned 301 M-1’s, and they operated systemwide.
Pennsylvania Railroad operated a host of switch engines, but these were “Critters,” a small fleet of 390-horsepower, 44-ton diesel switchers. They worked mostly in remote industrial areas, on docks, an occasional wire train, and―owing to their limited capacity―in switching assignments where the duties were light . . . but not always. It is July 17, 1959, and the 9324 is working at Altoona, Pennsylvania, shuffling work cars, as seen from the Twelfth Street Bridge. By 1966 all but one had been retired. The 9353 was renumbered 9999 and leased to Union Transport in Egypt, New Jersey.
On August 23, 1953, Pennsylvania Railroad 1820, a Class G-5 4-6-0, one of ninety built by the company’s Juniata Shops between 1923 and 1925, has been serviced (note the coal pile in the tender) and is awaiting a call at the Camden, New Jersey, roundhouse. These were the largest ten-wheelers ever built. Designed for use on local trains, commuters, and even an occasional work train, they did have one problem. They were rough riding and were not the locomotive of preference among head-end crews. Regardless, some of them lasted into the 1950’s. The 5741 is on display at Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania Railroad 7183 is on an Enola-bound freight, crossing the Rockville Bridge at Marysville, Pennsylvania, on September 5, 1964. Rockville Bridge, which was built in 1902, is 3,820 feet long and has forty-eight 70-foot spans crossing the Susquehanna River. It is the longest stone-arch railroad bridge in the world. Today, its three tracks are used by Norfolk Southern and Amtrak.
Pennsylvania Railroad 4828, a Class I1sa built in 1923, is assisting an F3A-F3B set of diesels on a freight near Tharptown, Pennsylvania, on September 25, 1957. The 4828 and its 597 mates did not win any gold stars from their crews, as they were rough riding. These engines were in use wherever there was a grade to deal with, and many remained in service for more than thirty years. Put two on the front and two on the back of an ore train or a load of coal, and they would get the job done. But the last one operated in late 1957. One remains today. The 4483 is on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.
Pennsylvania Railroad 4418, one of a pair of Class E-44’s powering this short freight, is coming through Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on December 16, 1963. General Electric constructed sixty-six E-44’s from 1960 to 1963. They may not have had the graceful lines of the Pennsy’s GG-1’s, but when it came to reliability and performance, they exceled. All these engines remained in service through Pennsy, Penn Central, and Conrail, until the cessation of electric power. Today, only one survives. The last engine built, the 4465, is on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.
Pennsylvania Railroad Class GG-1 Motor 4928 is running light slowly through the South Philadelphia Yard on December 2, 1967. That day, the Pennsylvania Railroad ran a special train carrying midshipmen from the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, to Philadelphia for the Army-Navy game being played at the city’s municipal stadium. The 4928 will likely be serviced for the return trip.