Scotland, Vintage Images circa 1900 (2018 calendar)
Scotland circa 1900 will surprise you. You’ll discover Crieff , the “wild west” town where Highland drovers delivered 10,000 head of cattle each fall. There are the romantic ruins of Dunskey Castle in Portpatrick, and a steel pier stretching into the Firth of Forth in Portobello. Princess Street in Edinburgh’s New Town looks elegant, while the dramatic view of Loch Awe in the Scottish Highlands inspires, well, awe. A wee dram would be perfect. Fa`ilte gu Alba!
Published by Tide-mark, this 2018 wall calendar opens to 13.75 by 20.5 inches.
Places featured in the 2018 Scotland, Vintage Images circa 1900 calendar include
On the dramatic southwest coast of Scotland, Dunskey Castle was built in the 12th century near the village of Portpatrick (Pitlochrie). The castle ruin was a location in the 1951 film adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson’s book Kidnapped.
One notable feature of Princess St. in Edinburgh is the vast monument to Sir Walter Scott, considered to be the largest monument in the world dedicated to a writer. The tower is 200 feet six inches tall and a series of viewing platforms reached by a spiral staircase offer views of the surrounding city. On the hill to the left of the monument is Edinburgh Castle.
Intended to look like a castle, the Loch Awe Hotel was built in the Scottish Baronial Style to attract invading tourists rather than keeping them at bay. As rail lines pushed westward in the late 1800s, hotels went up to accommodate visitors. Awe is the longest fresh water loch in Scotland and is located in Argyll and Bute in the Highlands.
The market town of Crieff was notable in the 18th century as the “wild west” of Scotland. Each year during the October Tryst at Michaelmas, Highland farmers drove thousands of head of cattle into the town. Today tourists find their way to the Caithness Glass visitor center, toast a Famous Grouse at Glenturret Distillery established in 1755, or take a water treatment at Crieff Hydro, operating since 1868.
A point of conflict between the English and Scots for four centuries, Roxburgh Castle overlooks the junction of the rivers Tweed and Teviot on the Anglo-Scottish border in Kelso, Scotland. The castle ruins are now part of the grounds of Floors Castle, the seat of the Duke of Roxburghe.
In the 8th century Aberdeen was a fishing village between the rivers Dee and Don. This view of Castle Street shows the subsequent growth and development Aberdeen has enjoyed. Pictured in the foreground is the Mercat Cross built in 1686 by John Montgomery. The cross is elaborately decorated and celebrates Scottish monarchs from James I to James VII.
For the cost of a penny, visitors could walk the Portobello Pier in Portobello near Edinburgh when it opened in 1871. The pier was 1,200 feet long and included a concert hall and tea room. After three decades, however, the iron supports were corroded and after a storm damaged the pier in 1917 is was demolished.
Stirling Castle was begun in the 14th century to guard a crossing on the River Forth. Built at the top of Castle Hill, Sirling is surrounded on three sides by steep cliffs, a position that helped the Scots defend it successfully during eight sieges. Bonnie Prince Charlie saw only Stirling’s outer walls in 1746, while anyone may now enjoy a visit at the behest of Historic Scotland.
When it was built in 1771, the Perth Bridge was the largest in Scotland. Perth today occupies a site used by Mesolithic hunter-gatherers who found it appealing in part because the River Tay could be crossed there at low tide, even before the bridge. A center of trade since it was accorded the status of Royal Burgh in the 12th century, Perth is also the location of Scone Abbey. For many years Scottish kings were crowned there until English forces captured the reputed Stone of Destiny that was taken to Westminster Abbey.
Situated on the south side of the river Tweed, Sir Walter Scott built Abbotsford House in 1825. The structure of the house included elements from old Scottish buildings and was originally filled with Scottish historical objects. The house was opened to visitors in 1833, but remained home to the poet’s descendents until 2004.
Dumbarton Castle was built on an outcropping of volcanic basalt on the River Clyde overlooking the town of Dumbarton. Dumbarton Rock is thought to be the oldest stronghold in Scotland. From the 5th century, the site, then known as the Rock of Clyde, was the center of the Kingdom of Strathclyde. During the Medieval era, Dumbarton was a royal castle and it remained important to Scottish defense until World War II.
St. Mary’s Abbey in Melrose was founded by Cistercian monks in 1136. The abbey was the burial site for a number of Scottish kings and nobles. The heart of Roberti I, Robert the Bruce, who died in 1329, was uncovered there in 1921. His body was buried at Dunfermline Abbey. The abbey remained active until Henry VIII disbanded monasteries in the late 1500s.