Baltimore and Ohio Railroad 2020 Wall Calendar

$15.95
Write a Review
UPC:
9781631142635

In 1827, the Baltimore and Ohio Rail Road Co. became America’s first chartered railroad. Innovation followed as the B&O operated the first American-built locomotive, constructed the first station, sold the first passenger tickets, published the first timetable, and became the first line to reach the Ohio River from the east coast. The Baltimore and Ohio 2020 calendar features the line’s classic steam engines and more.

| Large blocks for notes | Reproduced on quality, 100-pound paper | Calendar measures 13 ¾ by 10 ½ inches closed and 13 ¾ by 21 inches open

Engines and named trains pictured include:

• Baltimore and Ohio 1425 (a pair of EMD Class E7A's) are on Train #57 crossing the bridge over Silver Creek near New Albany, IN on a snowy January 2, 1961. Train #57 was a Louisville–St. Louis–Cincinnati passenger train, usually with a substantial number of head-end cars.

• Freshly shopped Baltimore and Ohio 6145 (a Class S-1 "Big Six" 2-10-2) is easing a loaded eastbound coal train down Sand Patch at Bracken, PA on February 16, 1956. It was common practice that after a locomotive went through the back shop at Cumberland, it would take several trips up Sand Patch before being assigned elsewhere on the system. If it could run on Sand Patch, it could work anywhere else on the system.

Baltimore and Ohio 6867 (power consist is all EMD: two GP-30's and an F7B-F7A set) leads a freight through Akron, OH on April 13, 1964. The two GP30's have a Starburst paint scheme. One of the reasons for the design was to make them more visible at grade crossings.

• Baltimore and Ohio 7621 (Class EM-1 Yellowstone 2-8-8-4) is on a westbound freight near Patterson Creek, WV, about seven miles east of Cumberland, MD on April 5, 1951. All 30 EM-1's were on the property, built and delivered by the Baldwin Locomotive Works by 1945. Like most modern steam locomotives, as good as they were, they could not outperform or operate more inexpensively than the diesel. B&O scrapped all of their EM-1's by the end of 1960.

• Baltimore and Ohio 7145 (The first 2-8-8-0 Mallet built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1919, a Class EL-5a, and 7612, a Class EM-1 Yellowstone 2-8-8-4) are double-headed running a westbound stone train several miles west of Hyndman, PA on May 11, 1953. There are also two Class S-1 Big Six 2-10-2's shoving hard on the rear of the train. Lots of brute force!

• Baltimore and Ohio 4461 and three other Class Q-4 Mikado 2-8-2's are quadruple-headed on a coal train at Akron, OH in the summer of 1956. Very seldom is a head-end consist like this ever photographed! Two diesel engines were also pushing on the rear of the train. Incredible!

• Baltimore and Ohio 5570 (a Class T-3b built by the B&O in 1944) is on the point of Train #21, the westbound Washingtonian near Mance, PA, about two miles from the top of Sand Patch Summit on July 3, 1953. The Washingtonian provided daily service between Baltimore, MD and Cleveland, OH.

• Baltimore and Ohio 6145 and another S-1 are rear-end helpers shoving on the end of a westbound train on Sand Patch Grade at Fairhope, PA on August 25, 1954. B&O had 125 Santa Fe-Type 2-10-2's in service. These were Class S-1 and S-1a's and they started showing up in 1923. Baldwin Locomotive Works built 75 and Lima built 50. They ran on grades throughout the B&O system. But the chant of the diesel engine grew louder by the year. B&O began retiring the engines in 1953, and by 1959 all were gone.

• Baltimore and Ohio 837 (American Locomotive Company FA-FB-FA) has a westbound coal empty in tow, while a trio of EMD units waits on the siding with a loaded coal train at Sand Patch, PA in September 1953.

• Baltimore and Ohio 5301 (a streamlined, blue Class P-7d Pacific) is on the Cincinnatian heading up Seventeen Mile Grade, near Bond Tower on June 9, 1956. Originally a day train running between Baltimore and Cincinnati, B&O discovered, to their chagrin, that this was a lightly travelled passenger route. In 1950, the route was changed to connect Cincinnati and Detroit. Patronage immediately increased and the route proved to be being a resounding success.

• Baltimore and Ohio 5005 (a Class P-1c Pacific 4-6-2) is on two-car Train #136 near Adrian, WV on October 12, 1954. 5005 was rebuilt in 1924; no exact removal date from service is known, but the last Pacific was set aside in 1957.

• Baltimore and Ohio 5307 (a Class P-7 Pacific 4-6-2) is leading the westbound Washingtonian near Hansrote, WV on November 12, 1952.

 

 

 

 

 © Tide-mark Press 2019