Discover classic steam engines and more running on the Baltimore and Ohio, America’s first chartered railroad. The 2021 B&O calendar features a range of steam locomotives from #7601, a big 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone, and #6218, a 2-10-2 Santa Fe, to modest B&O #1691, a Class L-2b 0-8-0 switcher. In addition to mail trains and manifest freights, the calendar pictures named trains like the Metropolitan Special the Chicago Express and the Cincinnatian. Celebrate great steam on the B&O with these classic railroad images.
This 2021 monthly wall calendar features: Large blocks for notes | Beautiful reproduction | Quality heavy-weight paper | Deluxe 11- by 14-inch size
B&O locomotive and trains featured in the 2021 calendar include:
Baltimore and Ohio 1691 is on the turntable at Painesville, OH on October 31, 1955. 1691 is a Class L-2b. In 1954 all remaining 0-8-0 switch engines received a 1600 number; the numbers they had previously were reassigned to new diesel power. By 1958, all had been retired.
Baltimore and Ohio 4174, a Class Q-1b Mikado (2-8-2) is on an eastbound local freight near Keystone, PA in March 1954. 4174 was one of 50 of this class built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1912. Baldwin had also built ten Q-1b's the year before this. These locomotives were in use all over the railroad. It looks like maintenance-of-way will be busy shortly, as stacks of new ties have been set out all around the reverse curve here.
Baltimore and Ohio 1454, one of two EMD E8A’s, is crossing the trestle at Harpers Ferry, WV with Train #11, the westbound Metropolitan Special on March 39, 1964. This was an all heavy-weight train (passenger cars from the 1920 and 1930s; no modern stainless-steel cars) that ran from Baltimore to St. Louis, and in later years from Washington, D.C. to St. Louis. The St. Louis Cardinals and Cincinnati Reds baseball teams used this train to travel to games between the teams as late as the 1959 season. But by April 1965, this daily train would carry only mail and express freight.
Seven-year-old Baltimore and Ohio 7601, a Class EM-1 (2-8-8-4) Yellowstone, is rolling a westbound manifest freight down the high iron near Patterson Creek, WV on April 5, 1951. When first delivered, these locomotives saw service on Seventeen Mile and Cranberry Grades, as well as Sand Patch. World War II raised traffic levels to an all-time high, but these 30 engines helped to smooth things out.
Baltimore and Ohio 26, one of two EMD E-8As, leads Train #9, the westbound Chicago Express, with an all-heavyweight consist through the Cumberland Narrows, several miles west of the city itself on May 24, 1956. This was a daily Washington, D.C.-to-Chicago, IL train with a scheduled westbound departure time from Cumberland at 4:45 p.m. The timing made for a great picture.
Baltimore and Ohio 66 and 68 (both EMD E-7A units) are making a station stop at Queen City Station, Cumberland, MD with Train #9, the Chicago Express. To stay on schedule over the Sand Patch grade, helper engine, 5567, a Class T-b3 built by the Baltimore and Ohio Shops in 1943, has been placed on the point. Helpers were usually added at Hyndman, Pennsylvania, 14 miles to the west, but helpers were added at Cumberland on westbound passenger trains to avoid an additional stop. In the highly-competitive Washington, D.C.-to-Chicago market, every minute counted.
Baltimore and Ohio 5301, a Class P-7d Pacific (4-6-2), power for the Cincinnatian, which has stopped for servicing and to handle mail at Deschler, OH in July 1955. At its inception on January 19, 1947 the Cincinnatian operated daily between Cincinnati, OH and Baltimore. MD. The route was unsuccessful so B&O discontinued it on June 24, 1950. The next day service began between Cincinnati and Detroit, MI. The route was profitable. Instead of four P-7d Pacific locomotives only two were needed on the new route. The last steam operation of this train was on October 11, 1956. By the end of 1957, all four streamlined engines were retired from service. With the coming of Amtrak on May 1, 1971, the Cincinnatian was terminated.
Baltimore and Ohio 6218, a Class S-1a Santa Fe (2-10-2) is hauling what looks like an endless string of empty coal hoppers into Hyndman, PA, at the foot of the Sand Patch Grade. There, a rear end helper will be cut in ahead of the caboose for the march to Sand Patch Summit, some tough 20 miles ahead. It is August 24, 1955, a cloudy humid day—no air-conditioned cab here! B&O had a 125 of these Big Sixes. Wherever there was a grade, there were Big Sixes. Most spent half or more of their service lives in rear-end helper work. 6218 was built in 1926 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. All remained in service until 1953. As more diesels were put into service, more Santa Fes were set aside and by the end of 1958 all were gone. None were saved.
Baltimore and Ohio 5053, a Class P-1d rebuilt Pacific (4-6-2), is a point helper on double-headed Mail Train #32 eastbound east of Meyersdale, PA in September 1953. These locomotives had inconsistently assigned numbers because all 29 of them were rebuilt from other Pacifics and retained the number of the original engine. They were the heaviest of this entire class of locomotive and were frequently used on mail and passenger trains where mountain grades, such as Sand Patch, were involved. All were retired by the end of 1956.
Baltimore and Ohio 4480 (four EMD F7s, three A Units; the second in the consist an F7B) is leading a westbound coal train at Broad Ford, PA on October 4, 1968. Broad Ford is a several miles west of Connellsville. This train is en route to Butler, PA, where it will be turned over to the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad before running on to its destination.
With fall color reaching its prime, Baltimore and Ohio 7615, a Class EM-1 Yellowstone (2-8-8-4) is leading a westbound freight through the horseshoe curve at Mance, PA, a little more than three miles from the summit at Sand Patch on October 10, 1955. This was the apex of Baltimore and Ohio steam power. Baldwin Locomotive Works built and delivered “war babies” 7600 through 7619 in 1944, followed by ten more, 7620 through 7629, the following year. They were excellent locomotives, but the diesel shoved them aside in 1957, and soon all 30 of them were just a memory.
Baltimore and Ohio 6475 has a two-car, local-freight in tow near Mineral City, OH in December 1971. Mineral City is a small town about 15 miles south of Canton. 6475 is an EMD GP-9, built and delivered in 1956. GP-9s were excellent locomotives. Proof? United States railroads purchased more than 3,400 of them.
© 2020 Tide-mark Press