Chartered in 1849, the Milwaukee Road eventually extended its tracks across the northern tier of the United States to the Pacific Ocean. Noted for its innovative electric motive power and passenger service, the line’s successes were overshadowed by weak management and strong competition. By Spring 1982, all Milwaukee lines from the West Coast to Minnesota had been abandoned, and in 1986 remaining Midwest lines were absorbed into the Soo Line. Today CP Rail operates what remains.
Milwaukee Road 2021 monthly wall calendar features: Large blocks for notes | Beautiful reproduction | Quality heavy-weight paper | Deluxe 11- by 14-inch size
Locomotives, trains and locations pictured in this edition include:
• Milwaukee Road 32C, an EMD Model E9A, is taking on sand and fuel while being serviced at the Chicago, Illinois engine terminal on October 26, 1966.
• It is February 1952, and Milwaukee Road 90C, an EMD Model FP7-F7B-FP7, have Train #5, the north-bound Morning Hiawatha with service from Chicago to Minneapolis, passing by the little-used Pewaukee, WI depot making 75 to 80-miles-per hour. In 1961 all Milwaukee’s FP7s were rebuilt, renumbered and put into the freight pool. By 1985, all were retired.
• Milwaukee Road 359 is tiptoeing through backwater flooding of the Mississippi River at Dubuque, Iowa in April 1951. As long as the water did not reach the firebox, steam locomotives could run through the flood waters. 359 is a Class L-3 Mikado (2-8-2) built and delivered by the American Locomotive Company (Alco) in September of 1919. It was one of 500 Mikados on the Milwaukee roster; the unique part of that fact is that for a period of time all 500 were in service at the same time. After a career spanning almost 35 years, 359 was retired.
• Milwaukee Road Class EF-5 Motor E36A is on the point of a freight at Butte, MT on April 28, 1958. Even if they were mix-and-match any four-motor lash-up of power was classified as an EF5.
• Milwaukee Road 424, a Class L2-b Mikado (2-8-2), is bringing a freight into Beloit, WI on May 15, 1954. 424 was one of a class of 100 L2-b engines built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. The construction date for 424 was December 1922. Milwaukee Road liked the various classes of Mikados in their engine fleet; they eventually they owned 500 of them. 424 put in more than 33 years of service, and was finally retired in November 1954.
• Milwaukee Road Motors E-22A and E-22B are in charge of Train #15, the west-bound Olympian Hiawatha at Union Station in Seattle, WA on June 22, 1958. The Hiawatha would be hauled backward to its destination, Tacoma, WA for this short-run, it would change train numbers and become Coast Division Train #28. The business car lllinois, just behind the power, would be set out at Seattle.
• Two Little Joe Motors, led by E-73, are running a very large work train with more than 40 cars through Jefferson River Canyon, MT on July 4, 1973. Jefferson River Canyon is 24 miles west of Three Forks, MT.
• Milwaukee Road Little Joe Class EP-4 Motor E-20 leads a GP9 and three GP40’s on a freight ten miles east of Deer Lodge, MT on August 21, 1968. E-20 and E-21 were the passenger Joes; they entered service in December 1950 and January 1951. Both were equipped with steam boilers for passenger train heating, so two old steam-engine tenders were converted for this use. They remained in passenger train service until they were displaced by diesel power in 1958. They then went into freight service until electric power was discontinued in 1974.
• The Milwaukee Road purchased five bipolar electric locomotives from General Electric in 1917; they were delivered in late 1918 and 1919. Milwaukee was the only railroad to use them. All five were delivered in black paint. They were 76-feet-long with cab controls at both ends, and pantographs to pick up operating current. All five were used on the Coast Division; they were powerful and noted for their acceleration. Their use was almost exclusively on passenger, mail and express trains. Double-heading was fairly common on heavy trains. They performed well, but were eventually in need of a rebuild., which they received in 1953. They also received the paint job seen here. They were returned to service on the Rocky Mountain Division. They were getting older and it started to show. By 1959 all were out of service. Motor E-2 was saved; it went to the Museum of Transport at St. Louis, Missouri. This image of E-2 was taken at Deer Lodge, MT on September 19, 1956.
• Milwaukee Road 34C, an all-EMD E9A-E9B-E9A power set, is on Train #5. The Morning Hiawatha is slowing for a station stop at Columbus, WI on August 20, 1965. The bus in this image is for the connecting trip to Madison, WI. Most of the passengers waiting to board this train had ridden the bus from Madison.
• Milwaukee Road Motor E57B is switching at Harlowton, MT in September 1973. At one time E57B was classed as an EF-1 freight motor. The need arose for another switcher at Harlowton on short notice in the late 1950’s; E57B was reclassed as an ES-3 switcher and it remained in switching service until cessation of electric operations in 1974. It was donated to the town of Harlowton for display.
• Milwaukee Road 104, one of six Class F-7 Baltics (4-6-4) was built in 1938. 104 and the others were designed by Otto Kuhler and built by the American Locomotive Company. (Most railroads referred to 4-6-4’s as Hudsons, but Milwaukee called theirs Baltics. These engines were initially put into Chicago-to-Milwaukee high-speed passenger service. Eventually, the Baltics and other streamlined steam were bumped to secondary runs. There are images of one of them on a work train. Diesels were overtaking steam. 104 was retired in June 1951, and all the Baltics were gone by the end of that year. Photograph by E.T. Harley
© 2020 Tide-mark Press