Chartered in Pennsylvania in 1846, construction of the Pennsylvania Railroad began in 1847, and the first all-rail line reached Pittsburgh in 1852. Eventually PRR connected Chicago with Washington, D.C. Pennsylvania Railroad recalls the unique engines and trains of “The Standard Railroad of the World.”
| Large blocks for notes | Reproduced on quality, 100-pound paper | Calendar measures 13 ¾ by 10 ½ inches closed and13 ¾ by 21 inches open
Engines and named trains pictured include:
• This is Princeton Junction, NJ, where a three-mile-long branch line left the main line to serve Princeton University. This was an electrified line that supplied service using M-U (Multiple Unit) cars, usually a two-car set. The "dinky," as it was referred to, ran only the three miles between the university and the station at Princeton Junction. But let’s get back to the main line. It is January 1968 and Class GG-1 Motor 4930 is passing the depot. The Princeton University M-U cars are visible in the background.
• General Electric demonstrator locomotives 2501 through 2504 (Model U-25B) are leaving Pittsburgh, PA with a Pennsylvania Railroad freight on February 10, 1962. Only 2501 has the low, short-hood configuration; the other three are all high-hood units. As it turned out, GE sold more low, short-hood units than the high hoods. After their barnstorming duties were complete, 2501 through 2504 were sold to the Union Pacific.
• Pennsylvania Railroad Class H-9 Consolidation 3505 (2-8-0) is waiting servicing at Camden, NJ on March 21, 1954. To say that Pennsy liked these locomotives would be an understatement. Let’s look at the year 1924, when they had 3,335 of them representing different classes on their active roster; some of the newer engines lasted until the end of steam in 1957. That number of locomotives is a larger than most railroad even owned in total, regardless of class or size. Incredible!
• Pennsylvania Railroad 8606, a 2,400 Horsepower Alco Model RSD-7, has drawn a Long Branch three-car commuter train assignment. It is February 1958 and 8606 has stopped at Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ. This engine functioned very well in the start-and-stop environment of commuter operations. Pennsy purchased five of them in 1954, with an eye toward using them in helper service west, out of Altoona, PA, but they were a good fit, at least for a short time, on the Long Branch.
• Pennsylvania Railroad Class P-5a Boxcab Motor 4725 is leading a coal train at Columbia, PA on July 22, 1960. 4725 was one of 90 P-5a's. Additional P-5 types came in two varieties, boxcab and modified. The boxcabs were like the 4725 pictured here. After a terrible grade crossing accident in which an engine crew was killed, Pennsy modified the engine, and it resembled a small GG-1. The modified engines provided a bit more grade-crossing accident protection. Some modified P-5a's were used in passenger train service, but when the GG-1's came along, all P-5a’s were put into the freight pool.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 8880, an Alco Model S-3 switcher, is seen here in a fresh coat of paint at Canton, OH on June 26, 1964. This 600-horsepower unit was built and delivered in January 1951, one of 13 locomotives of this model purchased by Pennsy. Assigned to the Pittsburgh Region in 1966, its number was changed to 9480. It remained on the roster until it was retired by Penn Central.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 1600, a Class E-6s Atlantic (4-4-2), has been serviced and is waiting a call at Camden, NJ on July 25, 1955. In addition to three experimental E-6's, 80 of these locomotives were built by the Juniata Shops in 1914. With only four driving wheels, the E-6's were employed on mostly gradeless divisions. Eventually nine of them were sent to the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Line Railroad. All were off the roster by 1956.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 4934 and four other Class GG-1 Motors are at Philadelphia, PA with their pans up in August 1966. Another GG-1 sits alone on an adjacent track. These were remarkable locomotives; they were excellent in passenger train service, and they also hauled their share of freight. From 1934 to 1943, General Electric built 139 GG-1's. All active GG-1's were transferred to Penn Central, and some of them lasted into the Conrail era, as did more that went into service for Amtrak. As an indication of their popularity, 16 of them were saved.
• There were 90 Class P-5a Motors (4-6-4) in service for the Pennsy, but only one P-5. Here it is, passing the Lancaster, PA depot with a passenger train on April 30, 1962. This was the original design that inspired the class, and it was the only one, P-5 or P-5a saved for display. It can be seen at the Museum of Transport in St. Louis, MO.
• Pennsy RF-16 9710, a Shark set (RF-16A-B-A), with a Pennsy passenger locomotive in the left foreground and sitting beside Wabash 1165 (a pair of F-7A's) are all gathered at the Pennsylvania Railroad Hawthorne Yard in Indianapolis, IN on October 7, 1956.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 6922, a Class M-1 Mountain (4-8-2), one of a 175 identical locomotives built in 1926 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works, is double-headed with another just like it, as they wait for a signal to proceed at Rockville, PA in October 1957.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 3759, one of 425 Pacific Class K4s 4-6-2's, is leading a nine-car passenger train into Chicago, IL in December 1950. By 1956, larger steam locomotives and lots of new diesels had reduced their numbers drastically; the Pacifics did have a last stand of sorts on the New York and Long Branch, supplying commuter service to New Jersey where 15 to 20 of them operated between South Amboy and Bay Head Junction, both in New Jersey. That came to an end in November 1957.
© Tide-mark Press 2019