Chartered in Pennsylvania in 1846, construction of the Pennsylvania Railroad began in 1847, and the first all-rail line reached Pittsburgh in 1852. Eventually PRR connected Chicago with Washington, D.C. Pennsylvania Railroad recalls the unique locomotives and named trains of “The Standard Railroad of the World.
Pennsylvania Railroad 2021 monthly wall calendar features: Large blocks for notes | Beautiful reproduction | Quality heavy-weight paper | Deluxe 11- by 14-inch size
Locomotives and named trains featured in 2021 include:
• This is the Pennsylvania Railroad’s engine terminal at Chicago, with four EMD Class E-8A’s being serviced. It is August 12, 1966, and Pennsy was using E-8A’s for their passenger and express trains. In 1950 and 1951, they ordered and received seventy-four 2,250-horsepower E8A’s from EMD. They did not order any B units. As proof of their longevity and dependability, when Amtrak took over passenger train service on most railroads on May 1, 1971, all seventy-four E8A’s were still in service.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 4334, a Class I-1sa (2-10-0) Decapod, has the proverbial head of steam up at Enola, Pennsylvania on February 10, 1955. 4334 has a shorter tender trailing, which could indicate heavy switching. And there was a lot of very heavy switching to be done at Enola. It also might have been assigned to push cars over the hump at Enola Yard. The late Dave Sweetland, who spent his working life with Pennsylvania, Penn Central and Conrail, knew Pennsy power like few others ever did. According to him, the “Decs” were built with flanged wheels only on the first and fifth drivers. That reduced the locomotive’s minimum curve radius and prevented damage to track.
• This is East St. Louis, Illinois and Pennsy Class T-1 (4-4-4-4) 5523 sits with a K-4s (4-6-2) Pacific-type in June 1948. There were several substantial passenger trains carded out of Union Station in St. Louis, Missouri at this time and a doubleheader might be required. More likely is that the K4s was needed somewhere else and a possible deadhead movement might have been necessary. The Class T-1’s came along just as the conversion to diesel power was really getting underway. There were some problems with them that surely could have been solved. But the economies of the diesel were in operations, time over the line (no water or fuel stops), almost no time for repairs, no fire boxes to clean, no huge shops to totally rebuild locomotive every five years, and the list goes on.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 6303-6301 and another pair like them are helpers assisting an F7A-F7B-F7B on a westbound freight just a mile or so above Horseshoe Curve in June 1965. The point helpers are all nearly new Model C-628’s built by the American Locomotive Company. These helpers were added at Altoona. There is one more locomotive behind the road power. Toledo, Peoria and Western, a new Alco C-424, is being delivered to its owner.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 4888 (Class GG-1) is running light through the yard at Washington, D.C. on July 26, 1961. The first GG-1 was built in 1934, and in the next nine years, 138 more would follow. They were developed for passenger service, but they worked freight trains, too. Some of them survived into the Conrail era.
• Pennsylvania Railroad Pennsylvania 9875, (an EMD F7A-F7B-F7A set) is leading a westbound freight up the four-track main line at Mill Creek, Pennsylvania on July 23, 1955. For a location reference, Mill Creek is near Mount Union, Pennsylvania. Here also is a view of the future, of sorts. Eight trailers are riding on flat cars; intermodal service is seen here in its infancy.
• Three Pennsylvania Railroad P-5a Modified Design Motors, led by 4770 are on a westbound iron ore train, waiting to leave Columbia, Pennsylvania on July 22, 1960. Of the 90 P-5a’s built 62 were “box cabs” and 28 were the “modified” type. The box cab was just that, the engine’s crew worked just inside the front windows, and had no crash protection. The modified motors looked similar to a Class GG-1, only a little smaller, but the engine’s crew was located toward the middle of the locomotive. After a needless fatal accident, company policy was to place a modified in the lead whenever possible.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 645, one of 80 Class E-6s Atlantics (4-4-2), were built by the Pennsy’s Juniata Shops in 1914 and used in passenger train and commuter service. In 1947 the entire class was still in service, but by about 1955, their ranks had begun to thin. This image shows 645 after servicing at the Trenton, New Jersey engine terminal. One Class E6s was saved by the Pennsy; 640 is on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania at Strasburg.
• Pennsylvania Railroad Multiple Unit (Class MP54) 414 leads a three-car train as it pulls away from the Elizabeth, New Jersey depot in September 1954. In March of 1966, Pennsy still had 368 MP-54’s and a smattering of other MP series cars in service. All of these cars were built by the railroad at either its shop in Altoona, Pennsylvania or in Wilmington, Delaware.
• Pennsylvania Railroad Class L1s Mikado (2-8-2) 1472 is backing eastbound around Horseshoe Curve, Pennsylvania with a work train in September 1953. 1472 is one of 575 Mikados on the roster. The engines were built by Pennsy’s locomotive shop in Juniata, Pennsylvania, and also by Baldwin Locomotive Works and Lima Locomotive Works between 1914 and 1919. By the end of 1957, all were out of service. 520, which hauled a passenger special from Baltimore to Northumberland, Pennsylvania in October of 1957 was saved and is in the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 5783, a Model DR-6-4-2000 diesel built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1948, is awaiting a call for a commuter train at the South Amboy, New Jersey engine terminal on November 10, 1959. PRR purchased 27 of these “passenger sharks” so named because of their appearance. They served assorted passenger and mail trains until 1957, when they were transferred to the New York and Long Branch Railroad for commuter train service, but the Sharks were showing their age, and by May 1965, all had been retired.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 6776, a Class M-1a Mountain-type (4-8-2) built by the Lima Locomotive Works, is leading a westbound freight into Chicago, Illinois in February 1952. Pennsy operated 301 of the locomotives. They could haul expedited freight one day, and then run a ten-car passenger train the next. These were probably the best dual-service locomotives that the Pennsylvania Railroad ever owned. Built in the late 1920’s and early 1930’s, they served well, some lasting into 1957. One was saved; Class M-1a 6755 is on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.
© 2020 Tide-mark Press