Chartered in 1849, the Milwaukee Road eventually extended its tracks across the northern tier of the United States to the Pacific Ocean. Noted for its innovative electric motive power and passenger service, the line’s successes were overshadowed by weak management and strong competition. By Spring 1982, all Milwaukee lines from the West Coast to Minnesota had been abandoned, and in 1986 remaining Midwest lines were absorbed into the Soo Line. Today CP Rail operates what remains.
This 2024 monthly wall calendar features: Large blocks for notes | Superb printing quality | Heavy 100-pound paper | Deluxe 11- by 14-inch size
Milwaukee Road Electric Switcher E-81 is using a trolley pole rather than a pantograph for power as it switches in the snow at Butte, MT, on April 27, 1958. Four of these small switchers (Class ES-2’s) were on the roster, numbered E-80 through E-83.
Locomotives and named trains featured in this edition include:
• Milwaukee Road Electric Switcher E-81 is using a trolley pole rather than a pantograph for power as it switches in the snow at Butte, MT, on April 27, 1958. Four of these small switchers (Class ES-2’s) were on the roster, numbered E-80 through E-83.
• Milwaukee Road “Erie built” Engine 9-A is sitting at the Milwaukee, WI, depot on February 9, 1952.
• Milwaukee Road 426, a Class L2-b Mikado (2-8-2), built in 1923 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works, is leading a freight at Techny, IL, on March 27, 1947.
• Milwaukee Road Bipolar Motor E-4, leading Train #15, the westbound Olympian Hiawatha is making a station stop at Deer Lodge, MT, on April 29, 1958. Motor E-4 was one of five Class EP-2 Bipolar Motors built by General Electric in 1918.
• Milwaukee Road’s “Little Joe” Class consisted of 12 Motors, all purchased from General Electric in 1950. Motor E-72 with another “Little Joe” trailing have arrived at Avery, ID, with a westbound freight in September 1970.
• Milwaukee Road 99-C and an E-9B are blowing past the tower at Rondout, IL, at about 90 miles per hour southbound with Train #58, The Fast Mail on June 19, 1967.
• Milwaukee Road 2511, 2510 and 2509, all three are H-16-44s, are on a freight, switching at Mendota, IL, on July 4, 1958. Milwaukee purchased 37 of these 1,600 horsepower units from Fairbanks-Morse between January of 1954 and February of 1956.
• Milwaukee Road Class EF-5 four-unit Boxcab E-33 has cut away from its eastbound freight at Othello, WA, on July 6, 1958.
• Milwaukee Road 261, a Class S-3 Northern (4-8-4) is leading an eastbound 72 car train into Council Bluffs, IA, on September 5, 1953.
• Milwaukee Road 5 glistens in a fresh coat of paint as it sits at Chicago, IL, on October 8, 1970. Milwaukee purchased five of these locomotives from Electro-Motive in December 1968.
• Milwaukee Road 88C-88B-88A sits at Duluth, MN, on September 30, 1957. The orange and chocolate brown paint scheme was the original one for the first A-B-A class F-7 diesels from EMD. They were rated at 1,500 horsepower per unit. Three of these 3-unit sets were delivered in October and November 1949.
• Milwaukee Road 596 is on a local freight near Cashton, WI, on April 8, 1972. The power consist for this train includes two RSC-2s and an RSD-5, all built by the American Locomotive Company, the RSC-2s in 1949 and the RSD-5 in 1953.
Published by Tide-mark Press © 2023