About Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park was originally recognized as Sieur de Monts National Monuments in 1916. It was reestablished as Lafayette National Park in 1919, the first national park east of the Mississippi River. The park was renamed Acadia in 1929. The park covers 49,052 acres in and around Mount Desert Island. The park owns four of the five Islands. Together Bar Island, Sheep Porcupine, Burnt Porcupine, Long Porcupine, and Bald Porcupine form an archipelago. Burnt Porcupine remains privately held. Among the islands, Bar Island is familiar to many visitors to Bar Harbor who take advantage of low tide to walk across the sandy bar that connects the town and island.
About Photographer Paul Rezendes
New England landscape photographer Paul Rezendes is the author of books ranging in subject from wetlands and Martha’s Vineyard, to wildlife tracking and philosophy. His photographs have appeared widely in magazines, calendars, advertising and other formats. Paul grew up in Westport, Massachusetts, and lives with his wife in a remote forest in central Massachusetts on the banks of the Millers River.
© 2023 Tide-mark Press