Engines and trains featured in the 2022 edition include:
Don’t let anyone tell you that it doesn’t snow hard in Elizabeth, NJ. M-U Car 620 is leading what appears to be a four-car M-U (Multiple Unit) train, preparing to stop at the Elizabeth, NJ, depot on January 30, 1966. The cars are all MP-54’s, better known to commuters as “red rattlers”. There were 432 of them, and they were built and put into service between 1915 and 1939. Pennsy and Penn Central surely got their money’s worth out of them.
It appears that something has gone wrong with the coal tipple at Enola, PA, in February 1953. The tipple stands unused while a clamshell has Pennsy hopper car 715853 in tow, while in the process of coaling up Pennsy Class I1s Decapod (2-10-0) 4435. These hard riding maulers were great locomotives and Pennsy had plenty of them. The Juniata Shops turned out the first one in 1916, then122, and, ultimately, in 1924, Pennsy ordered 475, all in Class I1sa. Their last major assignment was on Mount Carmel ore trains, two on the front and two shoving on the rear of each train. All were removed from active service in 1957. Only engine 4483 was preserved at the Western New York Historical Society in Hamburg, NY
Pennsylvania Railroad 1813, a Class G-5 Ten-Wheeler (4-6-0) built by the Juniata Shops in 1924, sits at Camden, NJ, on March 7, 1954. It has been serviced and is waiting a call. It was one of 90 locomotives in this class. They were designed for commuter and local freight service. Some of them lasted until the end of steam in 1957. One survives today: 5741 is on display at the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum in Strasburg, PA.
Pennsylvania Railroad 5984 and another E8A are leaving Chicago Union Station with a mixed bag passenger train on an October afternoon in 1954. This train has cars of various roads trailing the power. We don’t know the train name or number. This could also just be a scramble of cars being moved off the busy Chicago Union Station tracks to a coach yard. The Pennsylvania Railroad purchased 74 A units, but no B units. Some of these E8’s lasted into the Conrail era.
Pennsylvania Railroad 2219, an EMD Ge3.04 leads two General Electric U25B‘s on a 128-car westbound freight along the Susquehanna River at Duncannon, PA on June 10, 1965. 2219 was a 2,250-horsepower locomotive from a 52-unit order placed in 1962 (the only order for GP–30’s ever placed by Pennsy) and delivered by Electromotive Division in 1963. After Conrail took over from Penn Central in 1976, they scrapped them all.
Pennsylvania Railroad 4832, one of two Class GG-1’s, is leading expedited intermodal train TV-2 near Gordonville, PA on June 18, 1961.
Pennsylvania Railroad 1600, one of 83 Class E6s Atlantics (4-4-2) on the roster, is waiting at Camden, NJ for a commuter train assignment on October 4, 1955. The first E6s was built as an experiment in 1910, followed by 80 more in 1914. The origins of the other two on the roster remain mysterious. They could really perform on short-haul passenger and commuter service. None of these engines served on the western part of the railroad; they were designed to work the flatter eastern regions, and that is where they stayed. Two of them, including 1600 seen here, were retired to museums. 1600 is at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania at Lancaster.
Pennsylvania Railroad 5141, an H Class Consolidation (2-8-0) is going for a spin on the turntable at Northumberland, PA on August 17, 1956. No railroad had more Consolidations than Pennsy. In 1924, there were 3,335 of them operating systemwide. Most railroads of the time didn’t have that many locomotives on their entire roster.
Pennsylvania Railroad 4402, a Class E-44 Motor, is bringing a freight into Enola, PA on September 16, 1961. There were 66 E-44s and they were everything they were promised to be. The entire E-44 class transferred to Penn Central in 1967. One E-44 has been preserved. 4465 is on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.
Here comes Pennsylvania Railroad 4278, a Class I1sa Decapod (2-10-0) working hard as it heads around Horseshoe Curve, PA, in September of 1953. A manifest freight such as this would have one or more helpers cut in on the rear end. The westbound climb starts at Altoona, PA, and continues for twelve miles to Gallitzin, PA, on a grade of 1.85 percent as it climbs through the Allegheny Mountains. The eastbound climb to Gallitzin is 25 miles long, but the maximum grade is one percent. Today, the line here is owned by Norfolk Southern Railway.
Pennsylvania Railroad 5806, an E-8A in concert with a pair of E-7A’s, is on a westbound mail train running along the Susquehanna River near Duncannon, PA in the summer of 1964. The E-7’s and E- 8A’s were the mainstay of passenger power for the Pennsylvania. They purchased 46 E-7A’s (cab units) and 14 E-78 (cabless units) starting in 1945. The last one in service, ex-Pennsy 5901, was retired by Penn Central in December 1973. This engine was saved, and is on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania at Lancaster. The E-8’s, all 74 of them, were cab units; they were purchased in March 1950. Conrail retired the last couple in 1980. Pennsy had plenty of experience with diesel passenger units which did not perform well, but the E units were all excellent performers.
Pennsylvania Railroad Class K4s Pacific (4-6-2} and Jersey Central Trainmaster 2410 (Fairbanks-Morse H24-66; Jersey Central had twelve of them) are both in service on the New York and Long Branch Railroad, jointly owned and operated by the two railroads. The NY and LB was a 38.6-mile-long commuter line between
Perth Amboy, NJ, and Bay Head Junction (now Bay Head, NJ). The two engines are waiting for the afternoon rush hour on October 14, 1956. Steam would be gone within a year. Today this is part of New Jersey Transit’s New Jersey Coast Line.