Chartered just before the Civil War, during the next three decades the tracks of the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe reached from Chicago to Los Angeles. Santa Fe’s trains provided the country’s most appealing passenger service and for shippers, the most innovative intermodal freight service in America. Santa Fe features classic steam and diesel locomotives working on the ATSF.
Santa Fe Railway 2021 monthly wall calendar features: Large blocks for notes | Beautiful reproduction | Quality heavy-weight paper | Deluxe 11- by 14-inch size
Locomotives and named trains featured include:
• Santa Fe 105 and two other new Super Fleet GP60M’s are west-bound with the hot Train 199 at the fifth crossing of Tehachapi Creek on the south end of the long siding at Woodford, CA on August 11, 1990. At this time, the Train 199 carried United Parcel Service shipments, and everything humanly possible was done to get this train out of Willow Springs, IL and keep it on schedule to Richmond, CA. Its counterpart at this time (1990) was the Train 991 which was just as hot and operated from Richmond to Willow Springs.
• Perhaps the most famous Santa Fe steam locomotive was the Blue Goose, number 3460. It was the first of the six members of the 3460-Class Hudson (4-6-4) constructed by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1937, and it was the only one to be streamlined. These locomotives pulled all of Santa Fe’s named trains, like the Chief and the Grand Canyon during the 1930s and 1940s. The Blue Goose was almost impossible to keep clean—robin’s egg blue and ballast grime didn’t work well together. On March 24, 1948 wearing green flags (second section following) 3460 is backing into Chicago’s Dearborn Station to take the first section of the Grand Canyon west. 3460 was taken out of service in 1953 and scrapped three years later.
• Santa Fe 205, an EMD SD75M is on the point of a west-bound intermodal train coming through West Doublea, AZ on April 1, 1996. Assisting it are three General Electric C44-9Ws. West Doublea is 51 miles west of Flagstaff, AZ. It is named for the vast Double A Ranch through which the Crookton cut-off line runs. The name is pronounced “double-a,” although seldom on the first try. The 51 SD75Ms were the last new locomotives purchased by Santa Fe. Burlington Northern purchased Santa Fe in December 1996.
• Santa Fe 542 is a variant on a Fairbanks-Morse Model H12-44. This locomotive and only two others (541 and 543) included a short hood with a steam generator. These three units were used for switching passenger cars and making up trains at Chicago’s Dearborn Station. All three of these locomotives were built and delivered in May of 1956. Their time was short because Santa Fe turned over its passenger business to Amtrak in May of 1971. By 1974, all three engines were retired.
• Santa Fe 3780, one of ten 3776-Class Northern (4-8-4) locomotives, is running light westbound down the Abo Canyon Grade near Scholle, NM on June 23, 1957. These locomotives were built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1941. 3780 had the dubious distinction of being the last Santa Fe steam locomotive used in regular service in July 1957.
• Santa Fe 2925, one of 30 locomotives of the 2900-Class Northerns (4-8-4), is a point helper eastbound on the Abo Canyon Grade assisting diesels on July 1, 1956. The train has pulled up to the Mountainair, NM depot, where 2925 will be cut off and turned on the wye there. The big Northern will then run light back to Belen, NM, about 34 miles away. All steam activity would stop one year later. Santa Fe would donate five of these locomotives, one to Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry, then one each to Pueblo, CO, Fort Madison, IA, Modesto, CA and Albuquerque, NM. Engine 2925 was stored by Santa Fe until it was donated to the California Railroad Museum in 1986.
• Santa Fe Super Fleet GP60M’s 148, 110 and 118, all less than one month old, lead the Train 991 through the curves and tunnels of the Tehachapi grade, seen here at Cable, CA, several miles west of Tehachapi on August 10, 1990 with the help of a standard cab GP60. Pictures of the original 148 are not plentiful. It was off the roster just four months after this picture, along with Super Fleet GP60M #152, following an accident in the Los Angeles area in November 1990. Four other Super Fleet Locomotives, 159 through 162, were renumbered 142, 144, 148 and 152 to fill the number slots of locomotives no longer on the roster due to accidents, so there is another 148 after all.
• Santa Fe 175, an EMD FTA-FTB-FTA set, is leading a west-bound freight past the depot at Joliet, IL on September 10, 1958. Each unit was rated at 1,350 horsepower, making this a 4,050-horsepower locomotive. 175 went into service in the freight pool in 1945, and it was retired and traded in to EMD on the purchase of new power in 1963.
• Santa Fe M-153, an EMC-Westinghouse-Pullman Motorcar delivered new in 1931, leads a trailing heavy-weight coach on Train 202 at Beaumont, TX in October 1949. 153 would have a diesel engine installed the following year, and it would continue in service until September 1958, when it would be retired along with about 15 others.
• Santa Fe 165 is in for maintenance at the Barstow, CA diesel shop on August 18, 1947. This is an EMD FTA-FTB-FTB-FTA set that was delivered for freight service in January 1945. Santa Fe needed more passenger service locomotives, so in May 1946 165 was given passenger service equipment and 90- mile-per-hour gearing, as well as a Warbonnet paint scheme, rather than the blue and yellow with which it was delivered. It was in passenger train service until July of 1950, when it was reconfigured for freight service and repainted. FT’s are rarely seen in Warbonnet colors. Alco PA’s and more EMD passenger units were delivered in this interim period, and the conflict in Korea was heating up. After an unusual career spanning more than 20 years, 165 was retired and traded in to EMD for new power.
• Here are two sets of Santa Fe power being serviced at their 18th Street engine terminal in Chicago, IL on December 26, 1946. On the left is a new PA built by the American Locomotive Works in October of that year. Sitting next to it is a Warbonnet EMD Model FTA, built in 1945 and delivered for passenger service.
© 2020 Tide-mark Press