Southern Pacific Railroad began with a simple idea: to connect San Francisco and San Diego, California, by rail. A century later, Southern Pacific had become one of the largest railroads in America, with lines that stretched from coast to coast (connecting to New York via Morgan Line steamships) and from the south to the northwest. In 1959, SP moved more ton-miles of freight than any other U.S. railroad. Engines featured here reach back to the era of SP steam, and forward to the diesels of the 1970s.
• Large blocks for notes
• Reproduced on quality, 100-pound paper
• Calendar measures 13 ¾ by 10 ½ inches closed and13 ¾ by 21 inches open
Named trains and locations pictured in this edition include:
• Southern Pacific 2728, a Class C-8 Consolidation (2-8-0), was built by the Schenectady Locomotive Works in 1904. It was primarily used in local freight service, but this July 1952 day, it is leading a passenger special past the Magalia, CA depot, located on the Sterling City Branch about twenty miles northeast of Chico.
• Southern Pacific and Santa Fe applied to the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) in March 1984 to merge the railroads. Both railroads painted locomotives in anticipation of the approval. Both used the red and yellow with a black roof and underframe. As for lettering, Southern Pacific had a yellow "SP" Santa Fe had a yellow "SF". In this view Southern Pacific 9192, 7562 and 9208 (All EMD: an SD45T-2, an SD45 and another SD45T-2) are on a southbound freight arriving at Larkspur, CO on February 12, 1988, all in merger paint. But on July 24, 1986, the merger was denied. Time to get out the paint and go back to square one!
• Southern Pacific 6203 (an all-EMD consist: two F7A's and an F7B) are leading train #52, the southbound San Joaquin Daylight around the Tehachapi Loop at Walong, CA on March 16, 1958.
• Southern Pacific 8288 (power consist is all EMD; the first and third units are SD45T-2 "tunnel motors," the middle unit is an SD-45) leads southbound "oil cans" through the Tehachapi Mountains at Woodford, CA on April 2, 1988. There are also six helper locomotives cut into the train near the rear. The "cans" were loaded north of Bakersfield, CA with 1.5 million gallons of Kern River crude oil per train. The train was emptied at Dolores. One train per day would keep the refinery at Wilmington, CA operating. While it lasted, the oil train was the best show on Tehachapi Pass. A pipeline eliminated the need for rail transport over the pass.
• Southern Pacific 6003 (an all-EMD power consist: E7A, E7B, E7A, all in the "daylight" paint scheme) is bringing Train #40, the eastbound Imperial into Phoenix, AZ on January 8, 1953. Although the motive power is only five years old and painted in "daylight" colors, the baggage cars, railway post office car, coaches and Pullman Sleepers are all heavyweight cars from the 1920's and 1930's. The Imperial ran from Los Angeles to Tucumcari, NM on the Southern Pacific, then from Tucumcari to Chicago on the Rock Island.
• Southern Pacific 4475, a Class GS-7 built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1930, was one of 11 Northerns (4-8-4) purchased from the St. Louis Southwestern Railroad. 4475 is seen here being serviced at the San Jose, CA roundhouse on June 28, 1953. Engine 4475 and the others enjoyed an extended but short life with the Southern Pacific. All were set aside by the end of 1955.
• Southern Pacific 4172, a class AC-7 (4-8-8-2) built at the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1937, along with a second AC, has cut away from its train at Los Angeles, CA in July 1953.
• Southern Pacific 4373 (a 4-8-2 Class MT-5 Mountain) was built in 1930 by SP's Sacramento Shops. MT-5’s ran largely in passenger service for more than a decade. That changed in 1942 when the heavier and more powerful GS Series 4-8-4 Northerns took over most passenger trains. Within a few years, the MT-5's were either in freight service or in the San Jose Commuter pool, where this image was taken. Commuter Train #136 is running northward from San Francisco to San Jose coming through a rural area near Burlingame, CA on August 1, 1955. Train #136 departed San Francisco at 5:23 pm and only made stops at Redwood City and Palo Alto. It would arrive at San Jose at 6:30 pm on its week-day schedule. By 1958 this entire operation was dieselized and all of the MT-5's were retired.
• Port Costa, CA was a special location for more than a few rail photographers because it was among the last places where steam locomotives were serviced. They were mainly 2-8-0 Consolidations with an occasional six-coupled (0-6-0) switcher mixed in. These engines were used for switching an adjoining yard, helping heavy trains up the approach to the Martinez Bridge, or working local freights in the area. In this view 2756 (2-8-0) is awaiting service and another locomotive sits nearby as the City of San Francisco slips past. Diesels would soon take over Port Costa, which was about 36 miles from San Francisco, but in 1958, Port Costa would be abandoned by the railroad in favor of new facilities at Ozol Yard in Martinez.
• Southern Pacific 1824, a Class M-6 (2-6-0) Mogul, is leaving El Centro, CA on a lettuce pickup local on November 27, 1954. There were only three locomotives in this class, all constructed by SP’s Sacramento Shops in 1917 and 1918. All three had been set aside in favor of diesel power by 1958.
• Southern Pacific 4451, a Class GS-4 Northern (4-8-4) built by the Lima Locomotive Works in 1941, is waiting to couple onto Commuter Train #142 at San Francisco, CA on July 23, 1953. It still presents a good appearance in its Daylight paint scheme; it would be painted black when it went in for shop work and thereafter might be used in freight, passenger or mail train service. But on this day it will lead a northbound commuter train terminating its trip at San Jose, CA. Two of these locomotives were saved: 4449 is used in excursion service, and 4460 is on display at the Museum of Transport in St. Louis, MO.
© Tide-mark Press, 2019