This remarkable collection of classic steam locomotives offers thundering power and great style through more than 50 years of railroading. Locomotives include: Pennsylvania “Mountain” 4-8-2 built in 1930, Erie “Berkshire” 2-8-4, CN “Pacific” 4-6-2 from 1920, Colorado Southern “Santa Fe” 2-10-2 built in 1919, B&O “Yellowstone” 2-8-8-4, Cincinnati Southern Mikado 2-8-2, a unique Chicago and Illinois Midland “American” 4-4-0 from 1927, and more. Don’t miss the call!
Those Remarkable Trains 2021 monthly wall calendar features: Large blocks for notes | Beautiful reproduction | Quality heavy-weight paper | Deluxe 11- by 14-inch size
Railroads, locomotives and locations featured include:
• Union Pacific 820, a Class FEF-2 Northern, is leaving Council Bluffs, Iowa with 15-car Mail Train #5 on January 25, 1955. 820 was delivered in August 1939. There were 15 locomotives in its class, all with 80-inch-drivers, so 110 miles per hour was not a stretch for 820 and its 14 stablemates. On August 3, 1950, 820 was running light eastbound when the towerman at Borie, Wyoming stopped it there at about 9:30 p.m. Both the engineer and fireman climbed into the tower. The independent air brake failed and 820 began rolling down a 1.55% grade toward the Cheyenne Yard traveling the nine miles in less than eight minutes. A switcher was on duty with a cut of loaded cattle cars when 820 plowed into it moving at about 100 miles per hour destroying the switcher and killing its engineer, fireman, and a brakeman on the ground. Despite serious damage, 820 was repaired and placed back in service.
• This derailment occurred on the Erie Railroad in February of 1948. The location is described as “east of Port Jervis, NY." Erie Derrick 02685 is rerailing a combine. Erie Berkshire Class S-3 3380 (2-8-4) was one of 35 locomotives built and delivered by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1928.The Berkshire was a popular locomotive with the Erie, which owned 105 of them in four similar classes. On the road they could perform relatively competitively with diesels, but maintenance, inspections and down-time put the diesel ahead to stay. By the early 1950s, all of the Berkshires were off the active roster.
• Pennsylvania Railroad 6742, a Class M-1a Mountain (4-8-2) is bringing an eastbound freight through Huntingdon, Pennsylvania on October 7, 1946. 6742 was one of 100 Mountain-Type locomotives built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1930. All the locomotives of this class were equipped with “Coast-to-Coast” high-fuel capacity tenders. The almost 50-percent increase in fuel and water carried allowed for elimination of some coal and water stops. As good as it was, 1957 would be 6742’s last year of service.
• Colorado and Southern 908, an E-5b Santa Fe Type (2-10-2) built in 1919 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works, is on a southbound freight heading out of Castle Rock, Colorado on April 2, 1950. This scene has completely changed. The road heading at an angle away from the tracks is still there. It is an access road off busy Interstate 25, which does not even exist at this time. The land in the right-hand area of this image is now filled with homes and businesses. In 1950, when this image was created, there were 700 residents living here. Today, there are almost 70,000 residents living in Castle Rock’s city limits. The railroad is still in the same place—this is the Colorado Joint line. Rail traffic is mainly coal and manifest trains, all pulled by modern diesel power. And C&S 908? It was sold for scrap in March of 1954.
• Canadian National 5126, a Class J-4-E Pacific, is leading westbound Commuter Train #173 through Hamilton Junction, Ontario on May 13, 1958. 5126 was a 4-6-2 built in 1920 by the Montreal Locomotive Works. It was designed and used primarily in passenger and commuter train service. Steam power was being used in some passenger trains, but primarily in hauling commuter trains. In 1959 and 1960, enough diesels were delivered to eliminate steam. 5126 was scrapped in 1960.
• Virginian Railway 214 was a Class PA Pacific (4-6-2), constructed by the American Locomotive Works in 1920. It is seen here on a three-car passenger train #4, eastbound at Roanoke, Virginia in May 1954. The consist is a Railway Post Office car and two coaches, all heavyweight cars. The end came for 214 in January 1957, when it was retired. The railroad did not fare much better; it became part of the Norfolk and Western Railway in 1959.
• The Baltimore and Ohio was not afraid to put big power on a train if that choice was warranted. Here three Class EM-1 Yellowstones (2-8-8-4) triple-headed on a northbound coal train at De Forest Junction, Ohio on August 21, 1956. 7603 is on the point and 7619 is in the middle; there is no number visible for the third locomotive. This day's destination would be Fairport Harbor, Ohio on the south shore of Lake Erie. What a show this must have been!
• High Bridge rises 275 feet above the Kentucky River. Completed by the Cincinnati Southern Railway in 1879, it ranked as the tallest railroad bridge in the world until the 20th century. High Bridge was rebuilt in 1911 to accommodate increased train traffic. Southern Railway 6627, a Class MS-4 Mikado (2-8-2), is rolling right along as it crosses the bridge with a short freight on September 28, 1951. It is a great action image, but it appears that the photographer, who is unknown, did not have much room for moving out of harm’s way if a problem were to occur.
• Central Vermont 464 and 466, Class N-5a 2-8-0 Consolidations, are double-headed on October 24, 1954. The only suggestion of location is the notation “Connecticut” on the slide. Both engines were built by the American Locomotive Company in 1923.
• Western Maryland 764, a Class H-7b Consolidation (2-8-0) is on the head end of Train #153, a five-car mixed train that ran daily between Elkins and Durbin, West Virginia, seen here at Glady on October 17, 1951. 764 was built in 1912 by the American Locomotive Company and was removed from service after 40 years. Glady is located 24.5 miles west of Elkins; this train is westbound, and Durbin is a little more than 22 miles ahead.
• The Chicago and Illinois Midland was a major coal hauler that ran a stable of large non-articulated locomotives, mostly 2-10-2s. But off in a corner of their roster were three American-Type 4-4-0s, all built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. 500 and 501 were delivered in 1927, and 502 followed a year later. They were the newest, and nearly the only 4-4-0s in service anywhere on an American railroad at the time. All three were used in a fledgling passenger service, but as the need for passenger and mail trains diminished, only two locomotives were needed. Engine 500, pictured here at Pekin, Illinois on November 6, 1952, survived, as did 502, but in July of 1950, 501 was set aside and scrapped. Passenger train service was finally eliminated in the summer of 1953, and both 500 and 502 were removed from service and scrapped.
• Southern Pacific had 12 classes of AC (Articulated Consolidation) locomotives, 11 of which were of the cab-forward design. Southern Pacific operated through many tunnels and snow sheds where smoke, heat and toxic gases from created almost intolerable conditions for engine crews of typical boiler-forward designs. To solve the problem, Baldwin Locomotive Works built more than 200 oil-fired locomotives with the cab forward. 4164 has been serviced and awaits a call at Oakland, California on February 4, 1956. Only one locomotive of this type was saved, the last one built. 4294 is displayed at the California State Railroad Museum at Sacramento.
© 2020 Tide-mark Press